Friday, October 3, 2008

Kinnear's four-letter tirade in press conference


Newcastle United's interim manager Joe Kinnear has launched an astonishing expletive-laden attack on his critics over the press coverage of his arrival on Tyneside.

GettyImages

Joe Kinnear: Turned the air blue at St James Park

Kinnear, the surprise choice to fill the void left by Kevin Keegan's departure, swore more than 50 times during his first official press conference as manager of the Magpies and bombarded a number of journalists with a verbal tirade.

• To read an edited transcript of Kinnear's x-rated rant click here. WARNING: Contains expletives.

The 61-year-old, who was last involved in football management at Nottingham Forest four years ago, claimed the media had already attempted to undermine his influence at Newcastle and that his first press conference would also be the last for many of the journalists there.

The former Wimbledon and Luton Town boss came out fighting with an onslaught against those who he believed have ridiculed him, insisting they would not be welcome at further meetings and that in future he would only talk to two local papers that he would hand pick.

Although his press conference was littered with four-letter words Kinnear insisted that the pressure of the job had not got to him and that he was simply defending himself.

Edited, Kinnear said: "I will stand up and fight for myself in any corner. You're not going to frighten me in any manner.

"Whatever you do, or whatever headlines you run, you're not going to embarrass me.

"I'm not going to stand for it. I've come up here for a simple chance to prove myself. Get off my back and let me get on with my job. That's all I ask.

0 comments:

Clicky Web Analytics My Zimbio